The Office of National Statistics refers to a chimney fire as any fire in an occupied building where the fire was confined within the chimney structure. In the year 2013-2014 there were just 7,700, a decline of 18% (9,400) from the year previous. This decline is a positive step and proves how increased awareness of the causes of chimney fires can prevent major damage to homes, especially since the sales and installations of stoves and log burners has increased over the last few years.Continue reading
Flue Supplies News
Flue Supplies News
Flue Supplies ship products all over the UK and Ireland, and we are often told that our flue systems are to be taken and used in European countries.
However, excitingly for Flue Supplies, our UltraFlex flexible liner has now been taken on a round-the-world trip and installed in a property in Southern Australia!
"I had never tried to buy anything for a wood burning stove before and I had never tried to ship anything of that size to Australia either! Please thank all of the staff at Flue Supplies for all the help and patience you gave me- it arrived in Adelaide completely safe and sound! Thank you Flue Supplies!"
It's good to know that our products are keeping our customers warm wherever they are in the World!
A family from Abbey Wood, having called the RSPCA with no response, called the police after an aggressive 3ft snake slithered out of their chimney and into their lounge.
A hiss from the family cat in the direction of the fireplace tempted one family member to take a closer look. It was only when he put his head up in the chimney stack did he come face to face with the snake.
Thought to be a Desert King snake, normally only found in Southern America, the police were called to try to capture the reptile. Taking over an hour, the snake was finally detained by police using a bin, a takeaway pizza box and gaffer tape and taken to a nearby wildlife rescue centre.
Desert King snakes can grow up to 6ft long. It is not known how the snake got into the chimney or how long it was there for.
From October 1st, 2013, it will be a part of the Scottish Building Regulations to install at least one carbon monoxide alarm in every space where a gas appliance has been fitted, except for appliances specifically for cooking. An alarm must also be fitted in areas deemed "high risk" where a flue passes through, such as in a bedroom or lounge area.
The Department of Health estimates that over 4000 avoidable cases of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are treated each year in our hospitals. A tasteless, odourless and colourless gas, the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are similar to that of food poisoning or flu so this figure may in fact be a lot higher. Poisioning from this gas is responsible for more than 50 deaths a year in the UK alone.
Installers and gas appliance fitters are being encouraged to spread the word about the dangers of CO Poisoning and the importance of keeping all appliances and alarms fully maintained.
Many people, particularly those who live in Victorian properties, will have numerous chimney stacks with multiple flues. Most of these will have, over time, been blocked off and are no longer in use. But what should be done with them?
The best thing to do with an unused chimney, is to cap it off at the top of the stack. This will stop any rain ingress, animals or debris from getting into the stack and potentially causing a problem. However, their still needs to be a flow of air through the chimney to prevent damp from occurring both in the stack itself and any rooms that come off of it.
The best way to do this is to purchase a chimney capper with ventilation which will cap off the stack from the pot itself. If there isn't a chimney pot and the top of the chimney has been cemented over, you can insert an airbrick into the side of the stack near the top which will also provide ventilation for the chimney.
Please call Flue Supplies 0844 800 6586 for more information on our Chimney Cappers.