Monthly Archives: February 2013

  • Energy bills rise as British Gas reveal huge profit

    British Gas have revealed a whopping 11% profit for last year after the harsh winter weather forced homeowners to turn up the heating to keep warm.

    This is after they upped their prices last November by 6.5% and experts now predict a further increase of £100 costs per month for customers, pushing more and more people into fuel poverty.

    A spokesperson from Consumer Action Group, Marc Gander, said: “It is disgusting to make this huge sum of money while forcing customers to pay so much more to keep their homes warm.

    “But customers are stuck with it as there is very little competition. However, enough is enough.”

    Executive director of Which?, Richard Lloyd, said: “The Government should take more radical action to provide not just simpler but fairer bills.

    “Prices will only be kept as low as possible if there is more effective competition and switching between energy companies.”

    A spokesperson from British Gas, Ian Peters, insists the profit was due to the severe winter weather, not from increasing the costs of energy bills.

    Quoted from: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/380749/As-British-Gas-makes-huge-profit-energy-bills-set-to-rocket-by-100
  • Energy prices set to soar- and keep on rising

    According to Alistair Buchanan, head of energy watchdog, Ofgem, energy prices will continue to rise in Britain for at least the next five years due to rising worldwide gas prices and insufficient renewable energy sources.

    With many of our power stations set to close in the next few years, and no new plants being built at present, Buchanan claims it is likely that sources are going to be “very tight in three years’ time”.

    Buchanan believes that part of the problem lies in the UK’s environmental obligations to “decarbonise” the energy industry, made before the economic crisis, resulting in larger costs to build plants able to create the greener energy required.

    In order to solve this problem, Buchanan suggests that the Government need to provide incentives to encourage more people to use programmes such as the Green Deal and “facilitate a revolution in consumer habits”.

    In agreement, Mike O’Connor, chief executive of Consumer Focus, also suggests that the solution lies in making existing homes more energy efficient; “We need to do more to ensure our homes do not leak energy and we are calling on the Government to use the funds they raise in carbon taxes to insulate our houses to modern standards.”

    To help keep your energy bills down, why not consider installing a wood burner in your home and insulating any existing chimney stacks? Call Flue Supplies on 0844 800 6586 for information on how to install a wood burner and the type of system you may need to start making your home more energy efficient.

    (Quoted from an article in The Independent by Oliver Wright: www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/energy-in-the-uk-the-coming-crunch-8501731.html)
  • By Installing a Woodburner, Norfolk couple save £££s!

    Paul and Susan Page from Norfolk are a part of the Superhomes movement and have made dramatic savings by making small changes to their home.

    Before making their renovations, the Pages were spending up to £1000 a year on heating oil. By rescuing waste wood from skips on building sites, their four-bedroomed bungalow is now heated by a woodburner which fuels both central heating and hot water.

    Other changes they have made include installing solar panels on the roof, insulating their walls and loft, installing a rain water collection tank and they even have a small wind turbine which also helps to generate power.

    For more information about how you can make your home save you super amounts of money, visit https://www.superhomes.org.uk/

    From: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norfolk_couple_show_how_to_cut_your_heating_bills_to_nothing_and_get_the_power_companies_to_pay_you_every_quarter_1_1953376
  • New Rules for Gas Flues Introduced by the HSE

    At the beginning of the year, the Health and Safety Executive  introduced new rules regarding gas flues fitted in void spaces or behind walls or ceilings.

    From January, Gas Safe engineers have the authority to declare a boiler "at risk" if they have no ability to inspect and access the entire flue. Then, with householders permission, they have the right to turn off the system and advise households not to use the boiler until inspection hatches have been put into place.

    These rules will apply mainly to flats and apartments and so Landlords who own such properties, which usually have room-sealed fan assisted boilers, need to be aware of the new regulations. It will be the responsibility of the Landlord to ensure that these measures are put into place and an annual gas safety certificate is carried out.

    Hatches must be fitted within 1.5m of a join in the flue and must be a minimum of 300mm square.

    Quoted from https://www.onlineprnews.com/news/346449-1361176070-gas-safety-update-for-flue-in-voids-introduced-by-hse.html
  • Three people die in Carbon Monoxide Fatality

    Three people from Cornwall, an elderly couple and their daughter, have passed away following a Carbon Monoxide leak at their home.

    It is thought that the three adults, including their pet dog, died after poisonous fumes escaped from a portable heater in their static caravan.

    President and director of the independent charity CO-Gas Safety, Stephanie Trotter, said carbon monoxide is an incredibly lethal gas whereby "less than two per cent of CO (carbon monoxide) can kill in between one and three minutes".

    A Carbon Monoxide Alarm is designed to detect the presence of the odourless gas and alert a family in a similar fashion to how a smoke detector works in the event of a fire. The fire service have been trying to promote the use of carbon monoxide alarms in the home to the public, and particuarly holidaymakers in regards to the dangers of using portable BBQs and portable heaters. This is following a number of fatalities to holidaymakers over recent years, who have bought BBQ's or heaters into caravans or tents to keep warm.

    Our thoughts are with the family and friends of those involved in this tradgedy.

    (Quoted from: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9890486/Cornwall-caravan-park-deaths-warnings-on-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-risks.html )

Items 1 to 5 of 9 total

  1. 1
  2. 2