From October 1st, 2013, it will be a part of the Scottish Building Regulations to install at least one carbon monoxide alarm in every space where a gas appliance has been fitted, except for appliances specifically for cooking. An alarm must also be fitted in areas deemed "high risk" where a flue passes through, such as in a bedroom or lounge area.
The Department of Health estimates that over 4000 avoidable cases of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are treated each year in our hospitals. A tasteless, odourless and colourless gas, the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are similar to that of food poisoning or flu so this figure may in fact be a lot higher. Poisioning from this gas is responsible for more than 50 deaths a year in the UK alone.
Installers and gas appliance fitters are being encouraged to spread the word about the dangers of CO Poisoning and the importance of keeping all appliances and alarms fully maintained.