Flue Liners (Gas)

  • Snake causes panic as it slithers out of chimney stack

    A family from Abbey Wood, having called the RSPCA with no response, called the police after an aggressive 3ft snake slithered out of their chimney and into their lounge.

    A hiss from the family cat in the direction of the fireplace tempted one family member to take a closer look. It was only when he put his head up in the chimney stack did he come face to face with the snake.

    Thought to be a Desert King snake, normally only found in Southern America, the police were called to try to capture the reptile. Taking over an hour, the snake was finally detained by police using a bin, a takeaway pizza box and gaffer tape and taken to a nearby wildlife rescue centre.

    Desert King snakes can grow up to 6ft long. It is not known how the snake got into the chimney or how long it was there for.

    From: https://bit.ly/162acLz

  • Gas Safety Tips for the home

    With instant hot water and central heating in the majority of our homes, it is easy to take for granted that our boilers, fires and stoves are safe to use.  

    Use these tips for gas safety in the home and ensure that your appliances remain safe to use:

    1. Always use a Gas Safety registered engineer to fit, fix and service your gas appliances- it is against the law to allow non-registered people to do this.

    2. Always check the ID of the engineer, including the back of the card which states what they are trained to do.

    3. Have your boiler, gas cookers and other appliances safety checked every year.

    4. As well as smoke alarms, install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home. Carbon Monoxide poisoning kills over 50 people a year in the UK alone and is known as the "Silent Killer" as it has no odour, colour or taste. Symptoms include headaches, nausea, dizziness and in severe cases, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

    5. Check for warning signs that your appliance may not be working properly. These include seeing yellow flames instead of blue ones, condensation in the room and black marks around the appliance. 

    6. Always use the appliance correctly for the right purposes. For example, do not use an outdoor gas-powered bbq to heat an inside room.

    7. Make sure air vents and air supplies are not blocked to allow the appliance to burn correctly. Ensure there is always enough air ventilation in the room where the appliance is being used.

    8. Report anyone who is falsely working without the correct registration. Advice on what to do if you some across this by calling the Gas Safety Register on 0800 408 5500.

    From: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk

  • Warning for Homeowners with Thatched Properties

    After an investigation made by the Hampshire Fire and Rescue service, it has been revealed that fires in thatched houses have been caused by a common factor - excessive heat being transferred from the chimney stack to the thatch. In the majority of these properties, the main source of heating the home has been a wood burning stove.

    Paul Francis, Community Safety Officer and head of the campaign to encourage extra precautions in thatched buildings, suggested that where modern stoves are designed to burn at a greater temperature to create a more efficient "clean burn", the old, thin and often ill-maintained chimney stacks cannot hold out against the heat transfer they create.

    It is essential that chimney stacks, flues and spark arrestors are installed and fully maintained by professional installers and regularly swept by a qualified chimney sweep. Ideally, the stack should be swept at least twice a year but more sweeps may be required depending on the fuels being burnt. Often coal or oil burning systems will not need as many as a wood burning system.

    For more information, contact your local fire safety department.

    From: https://bit.ly/10nucBy

  • Landlord fined after failing to ensure gas heater was safe

    A landlord from Blackburn has been fined £1500 including costs after failing to ensure that a gas heater he provided to a rented showroom was safe to use.

    Two employees at the showroom were taken to hospital and were found to have elevated levels of Carbon Monoxide in their blood, one of which was three times over the normal levels. When an inpector from the National Grid was called to the property, it was found that the gas heater was the cause of the leak.

    A spokesperson from the Health and Safety Executive said: 

    "Landlords need to make sure that equipment they provide for their tenants is adequately maintained and safe to use... Landlords of commercial properties should make sure that contracts clearly state who is responsible for maintaining gas boilers and appliances so that everyone is aware of their responsibilities."

    From: www.hse.gov.uk

  • Suspected Carbon Monoxide Tragedy in Cumbria

    A mother and her ten-year old daughter have died over the Bank Holiday after suspected Carbon Monoxide poisoning on a boat in Lake Windermere, Cumbria.

    The family were reportedly on the privately-owned boat for the holidays which may have been fitted with a faulty generator when the incident happened. A man, who was also on board the boat, is still being treated in hospital. Inquiries are continuing into the exact cause of this tragedy and our thoughts are with the family of those involved.

    Carbon Monoxide is known as the "silent killer" and is responsible for over 50 deaths a year in the UK alone, with over 200 people left dangerously ill. Symptoms include headaches, vomiting, dizziness and shortness of breath. Undetectable by sight, smell or taste, the only way to detect the presence of CO is with a detector. These can be bought for very little money and are fully transportable so can be taken on holidays, as well as functioning in the home. 

    Another case of Carbon Monoxide poisoning was reported last week in Wales* when a detector went off informing a family, including a six-month-old baby, that an outbreak had occurred. They were all treated in hospital for mild CO poisoning and are since recovering well. The crew manager for the fire brigade confirmed that the leak had come from a boiler less than three years old and wanted to remind homeowners not to be complacent with new appliances as they can still pose a safety threat.

    Remember, it is recommended to get your appliances checked at least once a year by a fully registered Gas Safety engineer. To find a registered engineer in your area, go to https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

    *Read more: https://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Family-poisoned-carbon-monoxide-Betws/story-18541376-detail/story.html#ixzz2PJEiHvkL

Items 1 to 5 of 12 total

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3