Flue Supplies News

  • New Building Regulations for Scotland

    From October 1st, 2013, it will be a part of the Scottish Building Regulations to install at least one carbon monoxide alarm in every space where a gas appliance has been fitted, except for appliances specifically for cooking. An alarm must also be fitted in areas deemed "high risk" where a flue passes through, such as in a bedroom or lounge area.

    The Department of Health estimates that over 4000 avoidable cases of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are treated each year in our hospitals. A tasteless, odourless and colourless gas, the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are similar to that of food poisoning or flu so this figure may in fact be a lot higher. Poisioning from this gas is responsible for more than 50 deaths a year in the UK alone.

    Installers and gas appliance fitters are being encouraged to spread the word about the dangers of CO Poisoning and the importance of keeping all appliances and alarms fully maintained.

    https://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10853329.htm

  • To Cap or Not to Cap?

    Many people, particularly those who live in Victorian properties, will have numerous chimney stacks with multiple flues. Most of these will have, over time, been blocked off and are no longer in use. But what should be done with them?

    The best thing to do with an unused chimney, is to cap it off at the top of the stack. This will stop any rain ingress, animals or debris from getting into the stack and potentially causing a problem. However, their still needs to be a flow of air through the chimney to prevent damp from occurring both in the stack itself and any rooms that come off of it.

    The best way to do this is to purchase a chimney capper with ventilation which will cap off the stack from the pot itself. If there isn't a chimney pot and the top of the chimney has been cemented over, you can insert an airbrick into the side of the stack near the top which will also provide ventilation for the chimney.

    Please call Flue Supplies 0844 800 6586 for more information on our Chimney Cappers.

    https://bit.ly/15THyL9

  • Biomass Facility to open in Kent

    Construction has begun on a £118 million Biomass facility in Sittingbourne, Kent with the idea that it will eventually generate up to 188 million kilowatt hours of electricity a year and heating energy for nearby industries.

    Biomass is organic matter (such as waste wood, plant materials and animal derivitives) that is processed to allow it to become used for electricity, fuel and heating purposes. A renewable source of energy, it has been used in various forms over thousands of years.

    This new facility is set to included the most state-of-the art technologies and have a high energy efficiency rating when it opens in 2015. Plans for similar facilities in Cheshire and Manchester are currently being discussed.

  • Gas Safety Tips for the home

    With instant hot water and central heating in the majority of our homes, it is easy to take for granted that our boilers, fires and stoves are safe to use.  

    Use these tips for gas safety in the home and ensure that your appliances remain safe to use:

    1. Always use a Gas Safety registered engineer to fit, fix and service your gas appliances- it is against the law to allow non-registered people to do this.

    2. Always check the ID of the engineer, including the back of the card which states what they are trained to do.

    3. Have your boiler, gas cookers and other appliances safety checked every year.

    4. As well as smoke alarms, install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home. Carbon Monoxide poisoning kills over 50 people a year in the UK alone and is known as the "Silent Killer" as it has no odour, colour or taste. Symptoms include headaches, nausea, dizziness and in severe cases, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

    5. Check for warning signs that your appliance may not be working properly. These include seeing yellow flames instead of blue ones, condensation in the room and black marks around the appliance. 

    6. Always use the appliance correctly for the right purposes. For example, do not use an outdoor gas-powered bbq to heat an inside room.

    7. Make sure air vents and air supplies are not blocked to allow the appliance to burn correctly. Ensure there is always enough air ventilation in the room where the appliance is being used.

    8. Report anyone who is falsely working without the correct registration. Advice on what to do if you some across this by calling the Gas Safety Register on 0800 408 5500.

    From: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk

  • Warning for Homeowners with Thatched Properties

    After an investigation made by the Hampshire Fire and Rescue service, it has been revealed that fires in thatched houses have been caused by a common factor - excessive heat being transferred from the chimney stack to the thatch. In the majority of these properties, the main source of heating the home has been a wood burning stove.

    Paul Francis, Community Safety Officer and head of the campaign to encourage extra precautions in thatched buildings, suggested that where modern stoves are designed to burn at a greater temperature to create a more efficient "clean burn", the old, thin and often ill-maintained chimney stacks cannot hold out against the heat transfer they create.

    It is essential that chimney stacks, flues and spark arrestors are installed and fully maintained by professional installers and regularly swept by a qualified chimney sweep. Ideally, the stack should be swept at least twice a year but more sweeps may be required depending on the fuels being burnt. Often coal or oil burning systems will not need as many as a wood burning system.

    For more information, contact your local fire safety department.

    From: https://bit.ly/10nucBy

Items 6 to 10 of 2382 total