New figures from a campaign for gas safety, directed in the North-West of England, have revealed it has saved many lives.
Since October 2012, the Gas Safety Register has conducted over 1,500 checks on gas appliances across the region and found that 17% (one-in five) were found to be unsafe and if left unchecked, potentially could have caused gas explosions, fires or carbon monoxide leaks.
Chief executive of the Gas Safety Register, Russell Kramer, said: “Gas safety is a life or death matter. This is therefore a really important campaign, as residents across the North-west can find out how unsafe their area is and take action to protect themselves.
“By signing up to have an annual safety check and following a few simple tips, people can avoid explosions, fires, gas escapes and carbon monoxide poisoning, which has already affected far too many people across the North-west in recent years.”
Make sure you are gas safe and have your gas appliances checked annually by a fully registered gas safety installer. Also consider installing a Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home, which you can buy directly from Flue Supplies, as carbon monoxide gas (known as the "Silent Killer") has no colour or smell and is undetectable without one.
Quoted from: https://www.hvnplus.co.uk/8644378.article